What if? That is the question that Curved Labs, a company located in Germany, have asked themselfs. They have made concept renderings, mixing the Rolex Daytona with smartwatch functionalities. We think it’s awesome. What do you think?
When it comes to smartwatches, the competition is heating up. There are many different manufacturers out there that have produced a smartwatch. But none of those were an established watch manufacturer before they stepped in the smartwatch market. Curved Labs played with the idea of taking an established brand like Rolex and combine it with smartwatch components.
Do bear in mind that Curved Labs haven’t made this in cooperation with Rolex, so the change that this watch will eventually be produced, is close to nil. Unless Rolex sees potential in the idea and decide to actually make a smartwatch..
Curved Labs decided to use the design of the Rolex Daytona and replace the dial with a digital screen. Thanks to this design, on a first glance other people won’t even notice that it’s actually a smartwatch. Furthermore they have introduced transparent watch hands (which will glow in the dark) and illuminated buttons, that guarantees better handling of the smartwatch in the dark. To top it off, they have made the homescreen a shade black (which completes the “flat design” of iOS 7) and used iOS7 App-icons and notifications.
A sum up of the details:
- Classic “chronograph look” instead of an OLED-display for a more decent look on the wrist
- Hybrid-design with an analog dials und digital elements. The transparent watch hands glow in the dark and even work when the battery is empty.
- lluminated buttons guarantee better handling in the dark.
- The homescreen is black and completes the “flat design” of iOS 7 with the use of the same App-icons and notifications.
- Charging works wireless with the wireless charging coil that is placed in the bottom part of the strap. When the watch is placed in the stand, it can be charged during the night.